Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ms. Sometimes Mom Spears

Last Friday should have been a sad day for Britney Spears.

Her and her ex-husband, Kevin Federline, have reached a custody agreement in which Kevin will retain sole custody of their two boys.

People.com reports that, “All Britney was seeking was a formalization of her increased visitation that she's obtained over recent weeks, and the additional overnight. She won both of those requests."

Crazy or not, I do not understand how a woman can give up custody of her own children. I am sure it was the best decision for her sons; however I am not convinced it was the best decision for Ms. Spears. In fact, I believe that it was an agreement made to allow Spears to maintain her freedom and ability to be “mommy” at her own discretion.

The no-drama-Hollywood-parties-pink- wig-wearing rarely seen Spears, has led me to believe that Britney was on her way to recovery, that she would continue to prove that she could be a mother, a good mother, once she had a support system reinstated accompanied with professional help. This means she would fight until the death to at a minimum, retain fifty-fifty custody of her two boys. Instead she threw in the towel leaving me to question her selfishness (once again) rather than her insanity.

Even if Spears did not want custody of her children I expected her to fake it. She has a responsibility to make her boys believe that she wanted them, that she fought hard and long, while sane and insane. Even on her worst day, she knew in her heart and crooked mind that she owed her children the love and childhood she never had. Instead, Preston and Jayden will age and learn that their mother abandoned them earlier on.

With Spears’ next album and tour, the desire will return to be in the limelight, to be on top again. She will use the media and it will use her – a most desirable interview, that Barbara Walters will surely snag. Perhaps then, when I hear her side, I will feel empathy. But until then I laugh at the fact that Ms. Spears relinquished custody of her children while her 16 year old sister, Jayme Lynn, raises a child of her own.

Am I being too harsh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. You would hope she would put up a fight. I mean what are the chances she'll ever get any custody back. These are HER children.