Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Does this look like the face of a killer?

If I saw his picture on Facebook or Myspace I would quickly think, "Handsome man" and move on without a second thought. His face does not show despair or pain. His body language does not signal distress or depression. He looks like any other person I would pass on the street or in the hallway of my office building. But unlike us, George Sodini not only took the lives of 3 young women and then himself, he blogged about his upcoming "exit" for over a year - plotting, planning, and probably desperately hoping someone would read his online words and help ease his pain.

On a public blog, Sodini documented his plot and openly spoke of his life that was filled with loneliness and an ongoing desire for the attention of women. He wrote:

"Moving into Christmas again. No girlfriend since 1984, last Christmas with Pam was in 1983. Who knows why. I am not ugly or too weird. No sex since July 1990 either (I was 29).

May 18: There are 30 million desirable women in the US (my estimate) and I cannot find one. Not one of them finds me attractive. These problems have gotten worse over a 30-year period. I need to expect nothing from me or other people.

August 3: Probably 99% of the people who know m well don't even think I was this crazy...Net worth slightly more than $250K".

We typically expect killers and psychopaths to stand out, to somehow appear "off" or different from the normal average-looking, average-working person. Not the case here.
Perhaps this is the attention he always wanted. Shoot, couldn't he have found a reality TV show to be part of instead?


No comments: